July 2014: Roman Necklace
I accepted a fairly last-minute request to make “something” for the Trimarian Highnesses, who are Roman. I went poking around my favorite image repository, namely the British Museum archives, and came up with these two necklaces that I really liked. One is made of gold and one of silver. I wanted a matched set, and with sumptuary laws in place I couldn’t use gold (or brass) or silver (or pewter) so I settled on copper for my necklaces (as usual, click on the thumbnail to see a bigger picture).
I have never seen a chain like the one on the left, so I started there. I can readily make that shape when playing with my rubber bracelets, so I first started with a single ring and tried to bend it to the right shape. It wasn’t near smooth enough. I then tried starting with, essentially, two rings, but that too wasn’t the right shape. Eventually, I succeeded by following these steps:
1. Wind wire around two 3/8″ metal rods, spread by 1/8″ (image below, bottom)
2. Lay the pair down and smoosh the wire straddling them into the crevice between them, until the rods touch
3. Replace the rods with 1/4″ rods, and repeat.
4. Cut the loops (image, top right)
5. Shape into a tighter figure 8, then curl around an even smaller rod (image: left)
The Medusa pendant became a Trimarian Triskele (three-headed wave shape of sorts). I used this in both necklaces. The second necklace, in the interests of time, got a single strand of wire weave instead of the whole wide weave.
And finally, because presentation goes a long way to make it all look better, I put them into a purple box I found at a thrift store a few months ago. I thought I’d use it for a coronet, but first come first served. I hope our prince and princess like these, since they’re the ones giving them away: